Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Wired

Artist-made glass with copper wire wrapping. Click on the image to see it larger. For more information , or to buy this, CLICK here.

I love copper. It's a warm, soft, beautiful metal. And I use a lot of it.

I use all different types, from very thin wire to two inch pipe, but mostly I use medium wire for wrapping glass. Twice a year I buy a one thousand foot roll. I always think: 'There, that's going to last a long time!' but it never seems to. Today, I am going to buy another roll. I've been out for a few days, and I don't like that. I need it for almost everything I make.

The price of copper is going up, and up. Apparently a world shortage. I'm much more careful how I cut it now~ getting the maximum from each piece. It used to strike me as unbelievably inexpensive. I mean, someone has to prospect, find the mine, mine it, smelt it or whatever, make it into pipes or wire etc., ship it to stores where it gets marked-up-- and not long ago you could get a twelve foot 1/2 inch hard copper pipe for $7.00! Well, it's more than doubled in price, but still seems like a pretty good deal.

The thing about copper is that it looks great new and polished, and even better (I think) aged and oxidized. I have had three of my wind chimes out on the deck for several years. From time to time I stop and look at them, and wish I could have my freshly made chimes look that good. They will, but it will take some time. A rich, chocolate brown.

3 comments:

  1. Your art work is just wonderful! I really enjoyed looking it over and reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art work is just wonderful! I really enjoyed looking it over and reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the nice compliment~ very much appreciated! Tim.

    ReplyDelete