Thursday, July 25, 2019

Challenge of Photographing Glass

Freestanding cobalt blue artist-made sea glass wind chime: Coast Chimes
Double Freestanding Wind Chime
Beach Stone Base
at Coast Chimes

Taking pictures of my work is a constant and frustrating challenge. Often I think I have an okay picture, post it to my website and Etsy, and then weeks or months later revisit and can not believe how bad the picture is! I take an awful lot of pictures, and retake even more.

The issues are that my works are quite thin, so it is a challenge to get the focus right. Even more so because my background is not all that attractive, or at least it is a bit chaotic, and so I wish to use a very narrow focal plane, which makes getting the target in focus even tougher. Then there is the light. My glass changes appearance greatly depending on the light conditions. I wish to capture it looking really good, but the light seldom cooperates.

Enough complaining, right? I make beautiful works, and even if I seldom achieve great pictures, maybe it is better to let people be pleasantly surprised that what they receive is much nicer than the pictures (I get a lot of comments about that).

Anyway, these past days have been devoted to packing and shipping, making copper chimes, and re-taking pictures that are really not good enough. Always plenty to do around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment