Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Beach Combing, Sunshine Coast British Columbia

Coast Chimes wind chime made from driftwood and large beach stones
Beach Comber's Wind Chime
$175 with free shipping at Coast Chimes
One of the great perks of my job is being able to go beach combing as part of my work. Working in my basement workshop, I find it is actually essential for my mental well being to get out for a good walk everyday. Fortunately, I live just a few steps from the Pacific, so I keep an eye on the tide chart, and head out when it is a little low. If it is too high, I can not get around certain seawalls.

Most days I spot at least one or two decent pieces of driftwood, and maybe a stone or two. Just below my house is not the richest hunting zone— other beaches on the Sunshine Coast are better, but I prefer not to drive.

My usual route takes me along a couple of kilometres of shoreline, and then I cut back up through the pretty little town of Gibsons. Just outside of Gibsons there is a very scenic little forest trail. So this walk takes me through beaches, a town, and a forest: what could be better!

Wherever you go on the Sunshine Coast, it is a challenge to find great driftwood. Most is softwood, and too roughed up to use (splintered, cracked, broken). So it is exciting when a beautiful piece is found! Stones are easier to locate, but even there it can be a search to find one I really like (smooth, rounded).

Even on the rare day when I do not find a single piece of wood or stone for my work, I still get the great walk, and always, always hope for tomorrow!

A beach near my house where I frequently beach comb.
Beach Combing Beach Near My Home, Coast Chimes

No comments:

Post a Comment