Thursday, August 16, 2018

Photographing with Smokey Skies, Coast Chimes

Artist-made sea glass and copper large outdoor wind chiime by Coast Chimes
Artist-made Sea Glass and Copper Outdoor Wind Chime

  This is a season of preparing for the very popular Sunshine Coast Art Crawl (October 19-21, 1018), and the quickly following Christmas shopping rush. I need a lot of stock to cover these two events, so my summer is spent busily creating.

Aside from making many great wind chimes and suncatchers, I need to photograph all that stock. That's typically just fine, as the garden looks good as a backdrop, and the sun in the early morning is quite nice for taking pictures. But this year half the province of British Columbia is burning, and although we don't have any major fires nearby, we do have a lot of smoke which blocks much of what would otherwise be blue skies and pure sunshine. Oh, oh!

Well, it turns out that this bright summer sun filtered through smokes is actually kind of nice light for taking pictures of my work! I was fearing a great backlog of works to photograph but, happily, I am snapping away with better results than expected. The light is not harsh (like noon sunshine), nor dim like too early in the morning, and the background is not too brightly illuminated, either, meaning I do not have to deal with underexposed foregrounds, overexposed backgrounds.

So there are a lot of brilliant new works on my website-- why not check it our? Visit Coast Chimes and see them, and some half decent pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment