Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Urban Backyard Organic Garden

Organic backyard urban garden
Backyard Organic Food Garden
Coming Back From Winter 

Counterintuitively, when we had acreage we found we could not really do that much with it, as it was just too much land for us to manage, especially with young children and work. Moving 5 years ago to a very small lot, the difference is remarkable. I think when we had acreage, it was frustrating because even spending a full day on it did not show much impact. Now, a few hours and you can see progress.

One thing was certain: when we bought the land and built the house, I said no grass, none, ziltch. Having spent 20 years mowing hilly acreage with a push mower, I had had more than enough! Also, I hated the noise, the stink, the seeming pointlessness of it-- especially in spring, you cut it, and it grows back so fast! So yes to no grass. What a great decision! I get to lie back in my hammock with a good book and the sound of neighbours firing up their mowers hardly even bothers me, smirking with no grass to cut! (Actually, the noise does still annoy me...)

So instead of grass, we have food. Lots of food! The first year, when from one of those large raised beds I harvested in one day 3 1/2 large colanders of french green beans, and from the side, buckets of raspberries, blueberries, I realized you don't need much land to grow an amazing amount of food. I had to buy a freezer!

From fairly early spring to late fall, this small backyard provides the majority of our fruits and vegetables. And, with the freezer, on into the winter.

I wish more people would move from lawns to food. You can do it on a small scale without that much effort and money, and you will save a lot at the grocery store, and eat better.

No comments:

Post a Comment