Friday, April 19, 2019

Abbotsford Tulip Festival, Bicycle Holiday

Abbotsford tulip festival, april 2019
Abbotsford Tulip Festival, 3 million Tulips

After 50 years of not riding a bike (very bad accident soured me on the whole biking thing), my wife, who adores bicycling, finally convinced me to get back on the saddle. Oh! Also, I love technology (not so much hills) and I decided I might like e-biking. I do!

I got a Specialized Turbo Vado 2.0, and find it so much fun to not break my legs going up our numerous steep local hills. I also researched and found a car bike rack that could support her heavy step-through steel frame comfort bike and my even heavier step-through e-bike. The Buzzrack Scorpion H, available in Canada at the Bike Zone with free shipping, is an absolutely brilliant rack, extremely stable, that locks on the hitch, and locks the bikes on the rack-- truly a great deal at $329 CAD. If you live on the Sunshine Coast, I can not over recommend Elphinstone Cycles for bikes: they know their stuff, and are so nice and helpful.

So I put the bikes on the back of our car, and off we went for our short biking holiday. The Poco Trail was such a pleasure! Next day a biking trail in Fort Langley (the Fort to Fort trail) was even more fun. Kilometers of trails with no traffic made me realize how impoverished the Sunshine Coast is, as far as road cycling. Here we have world class mountain biking with rugged trails galore, but to go anywhere urban is fairly risky, with cars kissing your handlebars: A little too anxiety producing. So to get away to these purpose built biking trails was a real treat.

A short stay in the city at a very comfortable Airbnb, excellent meals out, great biking, fun tulip festival, made for an enjoyable break. The ease of securing our bikes on the car means I am already looking forward to another biking holiday in the near future.

Below is a picture of me, on my e-bike, after so many years away from biking. I like it!
Specialized Turbo Vado E-bike
Yours Truly, Clearly Enjoying My E-bike

No comments:

Post a Comment