Thursday, January 04, 2024

Coast Chimes Website Update

Coast Chimes website screen shot of homepage

 Coast Chimes Handcrafted Wind Chime

glass, copper, driftwood, beach stone, brass

There is typically a small lull in activity after the Christmas rush, and I almost always take that as an opportunity to catch up on various tasks, long neglected. This involves restocking (making new stock), and having a look at my website.

This year, I have almost completed a major overhaul of my website, Coast Chimes. I thought it was pretty good, but reading up on 'best practices', I understood that a lot of things needed to be done.

I shrank and standardized all the pictures— a huge job, with nearly a 1000 images. Everything loads faster, and everything looks nicer. So worth it.

I tried, once again (for the hundredth time!), to improve the text / descriptions. I know this will never be a completed job, as nothing is ever perfect. But I improved the writing, and will let it be, until next time.

I deleted my 'sold' collection. Why risk people wandering over there, where there is nothing to buy? And maybe not figuring out how to get back to the available works? And by eliminating that section, I didn't have to work on all those extra pictures and all that extra text, to make it conform to the rest of the revised site. Win, win.

It always feels like a major slog to wade into a website, when you are far from an expert, to fix things. It's rewarding though to manage to make improvements, to clean things up. A great way to start the new year. Hop on over and check it out: Coast Chimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment