Friday, March 03, 2006

Beach

For more information on this natural Pacific beach stone chime, or to buy it, CLICK here.


Using natural beach stones, pebbles and driftwood in my art, before long I learned an odd thing: Each little section of beach is special. One area is great for large, smooth rounded stones but hopeless for driftwood or small pebbles. Another is wonderful for driftwood, but has no smooth stones. And yet another area is loaded with beautiful small rounded pebbles, but has no large ones.

So depending on what I intend to make, I now know I need to go to beach 'A' or 'B' or 'C.' It's funny how different they all are. I hadn't understood that before. Before a beach was a beach was a beach. Now each one is special.

I think when you use natural materials, you see the world a little differently. Where ever I go I look closely at everything~ there just might be something perfect for a new creation.


Early Winter morning beachcombing~ a pleasure!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just came across your blog and work via BE,
    I love your art pieces and visited your ebay store.

    You are an artist after one of my favorite heartfelt memories.
    I grew up off Lake Ontario and have so many memories of collecting beach glass.
    I have been away from the water for too long.
    If I had more time this is a hobby I would pursue. Your peices are beautiful, peaceful and natural. and I love wind chimes.

    Soo Do you create driftwood wind chimes with smooth sand glass?

    All the best
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, a compliment from such a gifted artist is truly special. Thank you so much! Tim.

    ReplyDelete